Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Kicking off TeamConnect Summer 2008

I must say I'm so excited for TeamConnect Summer 2008. You may be wondering how TeamConnect got started- well, it all began with alternative spring break 2008, where I led a team of volunteers in Detroit for a week painting a women's shelter. That week was so amazing that I was determined to bring a little of that excitement- and dedication- back to the Inland Empire. I realized that I didn't need to go across the country to make a difference; why not in my own backyard?

TeamConnect is a spin-off of TeamWorks, which is a similar program in operation in Seattle, where they have several teams participating in various projects simultaneously. What makes TeamConnect unique is that all of the projects have to do with the same theme- this first time is hunger and homelessness- and we've included an issue education piece, so you can learn more about hunger and homelessness in Southern California and how it affects all of us. Plus, you'll learn about some of the really cool and interesting news in the field, and then you'll get to be part of the solution!

This blog is part of that solution too. The plan is for everyone to introduce themselves and talk about 1)what made you want to be part of TeamConnect 2008 and 2) what you expect for yourself from this program. Then, after each project, blog about what you did, what you learned, who you connected with, how you made a difference, etc. Make it fun, make it interesting, and of course, make a difference!

Four hours. Four days. Four months. Four opportunities to make a difference!

About me: My name is Gloria, and I'm an Americorps*VISTA serving at Hands On Inland Empire, an initiative of Inland Empire United Way. I graduated from college last year with a degree in Psychology, and I'm living in Upland with my roommates, my cats, and my fish tanks until September when I'm moving to the South Bay. I enjoy rock climbing, reading, playing volleyball, and of course, volunteering. In the future I hope to find a career helping people accomplish their dreams.

1 comment:

Alfonso said...

We are off to a great start team! I really enjoyed getting to meet all of you and am looking forward to many more adventures! I'll bring the first aid kit, screwdriver, and oh yeah ICE! J/K that's just me trying to get a laugh. See you soon!